My recipe is shamelessly stolen from The London Ritz Book of Afternoon Tea and produces the not too sweet and plenty spicy gingerbread gentlemen complete with tart lemon icing suits. They are very addictive and very good.
Proper Gingerbread HusbandsIngredients
* 1 cup dark brown sugar
* 1/3 cup of honey
* grated rind of 1 lemon
* 6 tbsp butter
* 2 cups flour
* 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 2 tsp ground ginger
Decoration: confectioner's sugar, lemon juice, craisens
- Warm the brown sugar, honey and lemon rind very, very slowly over low heat (if you try to speed up this process you will get gingerbread rocks) until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for five minutes more.
- Add butter to the hot pan and stir until it melts. Remove from heat.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and ginger.
- Roll out dough thinly and use a man shaped cutter to create your gingerbread men.
- Transfer to baking sheet and press craisens in for eyes and suit buttons.
- Bake 20 minutes at 300 degrees F.
- Allow to cool.
- When they are cold, mix confectioner's sugar and lemon juice to create the icing. Give each gentleman eyebrows, a smile, a jacket and pinstriped trousers.